Concert Series 2021
Bookings for the 2021 Concert Series subscriptions are now open. Please note: Hardcopy Brochures were posted out on 9 April.
We’re delighted to introduce to you our 2021 concerts which celebrate the outstanding talents of our conductors, soloists and players who will energise and enthral you with their creativity and talent and present to you a diversity of musical treasures. Our music promotes our sense of well-being and brings together our community, which is so important in these times when people have been impacted and isolated by the pandemic.
Our conductors and soloists are some of New Zealand’s very best: world-renowned singers including Jonathan Lemalu, Simon O’Neill and leading musicians from the NZSO, the NZ String Quartet and the University of Otago, plus the wonderful City Choir Dunedin.
Our music comes from around the world: New Zealand, Russia, Germany, France, England and the USA, and will transport us from Beethoven’s time through to today. The series opens with a blockbuster symphony: Beethoven’s ‘Ode to Joy’ – his Symphony No. 9 – and the series closes with another thrilling Symphony No. 9, this time by Shostakovich. In the same programme is the beautiful and evocative ‘Elegy’, by NZ composer Leonie Holmes. Other symphonies include masterworks by favourite Romantic composers Schubert and Dvorak.
Some of New Zealand’s very best talent will be joining the orchestra for the series, such as conductors Kenneth Young, Marc Taddei and Hamish McKeich. Leading soloists include NZSO’s Concertmaster Vesa-Matti Leppanen and Principal Cellist Andrew Joyce, NZ String Quartet violinist Monique Lapins and violist Gillian Ansell, and mezzo-soprano Tessa Romano.
Dunedin audiences will also have the chance to see some of NZ’s stunning and exciting up-and-coming talent who are already making their mark on the concert scene: mezzo-soprano Katie Trigg, pianist Sara Lee, and conductor Vincent Hardaker.
All in all, a rich kaleidoscope of musical treasures offering uplifting and inspiring orchestral experiences for everyone.
Become a DSO concert series subscriber and enjoy affordable prices and special benefits
For as little as $31 per concert ($26 for Concessions) you can enjoy a world of superb orchestral music and world-class artists right here in Dunedin.
- Early-bird savings of up to 36% on single concert ticket prices.
- Flexibility – attend between two or more concerts at discounted prices.
- Guaranteed seating – secure in advance the best available seats for the season.
- Book from home – subscribe by booking on-line, by email, by phone, or by post.
- Personalised service – reserve your seats directly with the DSO.
- Golden Circle bonus – International Series subscribers seated in this area also receive a free programme and complimentary glass of wine or fruit juice at these concerts.
- Special offers of discounted ticket prices and priority booking periods to other DSO concerts.
- Newsletters – subscribers also receive free DSO Newsletters, keeping you up-to-date with the Orchestra’s news and activities.
Two easy ways to make your Concert Series Subscriber payment
You have the option of completing the concert subscription form on-line.
1. Direct credit
First, complete the booking form and return it to us electronically or post it to us.
Then, send your payment by direct credit to our bank account:
Dunedin Civic Orchestra
Please include SUB and the subscriber’s name as the reference.
2. Credit card
Complete the form and post it to us.
Alternatively, phone us. (Please do not send us your credit card details by email.)
– pick and mix – now at an even more special price – only $33 per concert for a seat in any area (subject to availability)
With a Flexi-Ticket you can select any three individual concerts from our International and Matinee Series.
- First complete the Flexi-Ticket section on the booking form in the brochure or on-line and send it in to the DSO office by either using the on-line form or posting the form to us.
- Once you have received your Flexi-Ticket voucher from us, the next step is to reserve seats for your chosen concerts by presenting your Flexi-Ticket voucher at the Regent Theatre Box Office (hours: Weekdays 9:00 am – 5:30 pm. Saturdays 10:30 am – 1:00 pm).
- These bookings can be made from Thursday 20 May onwards, the start of the priority booking period. (Public sales open on Monday 24 May.)
Wednesday 14 April
– Deadline for renewing 2020 subscribers to retain the same seats they had last year.
Thursday 20 May until Saturday 22 May
– Priority period for individual series concert ticket sales for Flexi-Ticket holders and for the DSO Friends. Concertante Donors who are not going to become 2021 Concert Series subscribers are also eligible for this exclusive advance booking period. Please note that ticket sales during this period are available only for purchases made in person at the Regent Theatre.
Monday 24 May
– Individual Series Concerts on sale
Public sales of tickets for individual concerts in the 2021 concert series will be on sale from this date.
Please note that programmes and artists are subject to change.
How to contact us:
Post: Dunedin Symphony Orchestra,
PO Box 5571,
Phone: 03 477 5623