Auditions and Vacancies at the DSO
There are no vacancies at the moment.
- Auditions will take place in the week of 22nd March ( the audition date is likely to be Tuesday, March 23, at least for those auditioning on strings).
- Those interested in auditioning need to register their interest with Feby Idrus by Monday 15 February. They can email Feby at email@example.com
- Audition excerpts will be released to those who have registered interest by Monday 22 February.
- Live auditions will be held in Hanover Hall.
- Generally, the standard should be of LTCL level (final year of music degree) standard or higher.
There is at least one round of auditions per year, usually early in March. A further round of auditions may be held later in the year, subject to demand. The date for the auditions is set about five weeks in advance of the audition.
Once a date is set, the audition opportunity is advertised publicly through The Star, University Music Department, orchestra and appropriate music teachers.
The time between the application closing and audition dates is four weeks to allow auditionees to study the orchestral excerpts.
Applicants should be of LTCL or equivalent standard. Auditionees whose applications are accepted will, on the closing date, be sent the orchestral excerpts. Applicants who intend to audition for two instruments (e.g. flute and piccolo), will be sent the excerpts for both instruments and will be allocated two adjacent audition time slots.
The audition panel consists of the Concertmaster, relevant section principals, an external audition panel member, and an appropriate players’ representative (usually a player from another section of the orchestra).
For more details on the auditions, please read our Guidelines to Auditionees.
Audition by DVD or CD is possible but not encouraged as our experience of these, albeit limited, is not satisfactory.