Hanover Hall: Our Home for Your Event
The orchestra moved into its new home, Hanover Hall, in December 2016. Not only does Hanover Hall provide the orchestra with an acoustically safe and enlarged rehearsal space as well as office space, but the Hall is also available as a venue for hire at affordable rates.
The wheelchair-accessible venue is suitable for a wide range of events, e.g., music recitals, concerts, small-scale opera productions and plays, weddings, formal dinners, prize givings, seminars and art exhibitions.
The custom-designed acoustic panels on the walls provide a venue with exceptional acoustics, making it desirable for musical events.
The maximum seating capacity is 240, with 190 in the main auditorium and 50 in the gallery. The seating layout in the main auditorium is flexible and can be arranged to suit the event. If a sound mixing desk will be used, this will take up some of the floor space normally available for seating.
Hanover Hall is well heated, providing a comfortable space, especially in winter.
Equipment and Furniture
A loft stage, an optional floor stage, chairs, some long trestle tables and a two-channel public address system are available.
A small but fully equipped kitchen is available for your event. A roll-up hatch allows the space to serve as a bar.
Women’s and men’s toilet facilities are located backstage. There is also one accessible toilet off the main auditorium.
The Green Room is suitable for use as a meeting room, dressing room or food preparation space (for large catered events). There is also a separate backstage toilet.
Hanover Hall Hire Rate Card
We shall be happy to provide a free quote. To find out more about hiring Hanover Hall as a venue for your event, please contact our Venue Hire Co-ordinator via the form below, or call 03 477 5623.
Community Events: Basic venue hire from $250.
Hanover Hall is available to community groups at a discounted rate, as the DSO strives to support especially classical music and the arts. Generally, the community rate is available to all charities and not-for-profit organisations, but other causes will be considered. Please get in touch!
Commercial Events and Weddings: Basic venue hire from $865.
Hanover Hall and all its great facilities are available for commercial hire.
For all hires
All prices include GST. Additional charges will apply for the use of the kitchen, piano (and tuning), the PA system, and labour, as required. A non-refundable deposit and a refundable bond may be required.
The Dunedin Symphony Orchestra management reserves the right to refuse permission for Hanover Hall to be used for any purpose for which, in their opinion, it is likely to offend or cause damage to the property or to the DSO brand.
Please read the COVID-19 Delta Alert Level 2 Health and Safety Protocol for Hanover Hall.
Send us a Message
Forthcoming events at Hanover Hall
- 19 September 2021: Amped Music Project show http://ampedmusicproject.nz/
- 26 September 2021: Friends of the DSO present Musical Tastings https://dso.org.nz/support-us/friends/
- 16 October 2021: Dunedin Jazz Club presents Edwina Thorne Quartet and the Djangocalypse Trio https://dunedinjazz.club/2021-concert-series/
- 29 October 2021: Logan Park High School Orchestra concert
- 7 November 2021: Friends of the DSO present Rare Byrds https://dso.org.nz/support-us/friends/
- 12 November 2021: Bayfield High School presents Fame the Musical fundraising concert
- 13 November 2021: Dunedin Jazz Club presents the Bill Martin Septet https://dunedinjazz.club/2021-concert-series/
- 19 November 2021: Dunedin Heritage Festival Opening Ceremony
- 28 November 2021: Dunedin City Wind Orchestra concert
- 13 December 2021: Dunedin Reviewers’ Collective Awards Banquet